When it comes to sex, anal penetration used to be a huge taboo. But, here in 2022, the word has gotten out: anal sex play can feel awesome and LOTS of folks love it! That said, for some people, anal play can come with some anxiety when it comes to cleanliness.
I’ll cut right to the chase, I’m talking about poop. Don’t get me wrong, it’s perfectly natural for your bum to have poop residue and fecal matter in it, that’s basically where poop lives! But I think we can agree that having poop show up when you are getting down is not exactly ideal, and the anxiety surrounding the possibility of it showing up can keep us from relaxing and enjoying ourselves.
This is why anal douches are so great! They give you a way to get your butt extra clean before you embark on sexy times, and lots of folks consider them to be an essential part of how to prepare for anal. And now with lots of folks out there exploring anal intercourse, we have more options than ever when it comes to anal cleansing! So how do you pick the anal douche that’s best for you? Let us help you out! Today we’re going to take a look at some of the available options and talk about how to choose the best anal douche for you!
What is in an Anal Douche?
So, what is an anal douche? An anal douche is a product that allows you to flush water or other cleaning solutions through your anus. That water is then expelled, along with anything else that might be hanging out in your butt. It’s a very simple process and, even though there’s potential for it to get messy, performing your anal douching in the bathroom will keep things under control.
An anal douche typically consists of a squeezable bulb and a slim, insertable nozzle. That said there are some that come with attachments and even some kits that allow you to set up a more permanent cleaning solution in your shower. We will discuss how to use an anal douche lightly in the article, but to learn more read our linked blog!
How To Choose The Best Anal Douche For You?
With so many options available, it can seem daunting to try and pick the right one for you. You want to consider a bunch of factors. How easy should it be to use? What does cleaning it involve? Do you want fun bells and whistles or a straight-forward cleaning device? How much money do you want to spend? Answering those questions will help you narrow your choices but you still need to know what the options are, how they work, how they differ, and why you might prefer one to another.
So let’s talk about some of the different types of anal douches available to you. We’ll tell you a bit about each kind, give you some examples of products that fit that category, and even give you a handy pro and con list for each (though we warn you, there really aren’t many cons here!).To help you get down to choosing the right one for you, let’s talk about the 5 best anal douches!
Basic Anal Douche
If you are just starting out with anal cleaning or if you know you want to keep things as simple and straightforward as possible, you can’t go wrong with a bulb douche consisting of a simple bulb and tip. Options like the PinkCherry Ultimate Cleansing System or the Fetish Fantasy Curved Douche / Enema offer flexible bulbs and slim douche nozzles for easy insertion. If it’s your first time or if you just want to get in, get clean, and get out, these are for you!
- Affordability. This type of douche tends to cost $15 or less
- Slim tip for easy insertion
- Bulb that holds sufficient water for effective cleaning
- Ease of use
- The rigid, straight tip might not be comfortable for all users
- As a basic, straightforward product, it lacks the luxury of more elaborate douches
Curved Anal Douche
Okay, so the big downside of the most basic anal douches tends to be tips which, while slim and perfectly comfortable, tend to be straight and not very flexible. With that in mind let’s take a step up to the next level in anal douche comfort, curved anal douches! These are built with the body’s curves in mind and feature flexible tips with a curve designed to fit comfortably in your butt. In terms of curved douches there are some like the PinkCherry Ultimate Cleansing System In Black (which we mentioned in the last section too because it comes with both a straight and a curved tip!) or the Ultimate Douche In Clear , which has a straight tip that is attached to the bulb at an angle for a little extra convenience and comfort.
Additionally there are others like the Nexus Douche Pro or the Ultimate Douche In Blue where the tip comes straight out the top of the bulb but the tip itself has a subtle curve. If you’re looking for something with a bit more comfort, you’ll want to check these out.
- Comfort. Those extra curves mean these douches are extra comfortable
- Slim tip for easy insertion
- Bulb that holds sufficient water for effective cleaning
- Ease of use
- These are still pretty basic and if you are looking for more bells and whistles, you will want something more
Douches with Bells and Whistles
Okay, so obviously these don’t have literal bells and/or whistles but these douches come with some bonus options and features that make using them easier, more fun, or both! The Anal Douche with Attachment, and the Fetish Fantasy Curved Douche / Enema , come with multiple tip options, allowing users to pick the one the find most comfortable. The Masster's Degree Anal Education Set has an attachment with a ribbed design that adds an element of sexy play to the douching routine while the Medium Silicone Inflatable Plug brings cleansing, stimulation and a little bit of kink together in one convenient product!
- Options! Several of these douches come with tips you can change out depending on your mood.
- Stimulation. If you don’t feel like anal douches need to be all business all the time, you’ll love the options that incorporate some sexy stimulation into their design.
- Still super easy to use
- Where there are multiple pieces there is also the need to clean and keep track of multiple pieces. If that sounds like a lot of commitment to you, stick to something a bit more basic.
Anal Douche and Toy Kits
In that last category we touched a little on anal douches that incorporated a bit of pleasure and playfulness into the anal douche experience so now we are going to talk a bit about sets of products that are designed to provide a full-on anal play experience. These fun kits include an anal douche as well as toys and range from pretty simple to full-on luxurious. A great place to start is with something like the PinkCherry Anal Explorer Kit which includes a douche, an anal plug and a prostate massager or the Medium Silicone Inflatable Plug which includes a douche along with an assortment of anal plugs. Take it to the next level with kits that include vibrating toys like the PinkCherry Anal Explorer Kit, or the G-Play+ Trio Unisex Massager Set . If you want to do some anal exploration along with your douche, these sets are worth your time.
- TOYS! Let’s face it, the big selling point here is that these douches come with fun and stimulating toys!
- A cohesive anal play experience. Sometimes it can feel like anal douching is completely separate from the sexy fun that we do it in preparation for but these kits remind us that anal douching can part of a pleasurable anal experience.
- Effective cleaning. The douches included in these sets will get the job done
- Easy to use. These douches are pretty basic (more on that below) and using them is straightforward.
- So, if we’re being real here, the sets are super fun but the actual anal douches included in them are, across the boards, very basic.
- Prices. Because they come with more stuff, these are, perhaps obviously, a bit pricier than other products we’ve discussed. While some like the PinkCherry Anal Explorer Kit are still pretty wallet-friendly most range in price from around $50 to $150.
Shower Douche Kits
If anal douching is a regular part of your routine (or if you know you want it to be), you can commit to the practice with a kit that you actually install in your shower. The PinkCherry Anal Explorer Kit In Black and the Ultimate Douche In Clear are examples of shower system kits that install in minutes for an effective on-demand clean. If you are looking for discretion, you might want to consider something like the Colt Shower Shot Douche System that disguises your enema set-up as part of your regular shower head. As the anus is sensitive and you want to be careful with both temperature and water pressure, there is a bit of a learning curve to these products but, once you get into the groove, a shower kit can be a super-convenient part of your routine.
- Effective cleaning. Shower kits are an excellent way to get that extra-clean feeling
- Convenient. Once they are set up shower kits are ready for action whenever you are.
- Easy clean-up. Because you use them in the shower, clean-up is a breeze.
- Safety. Don’t get me wrong, these kits are safe but they do require you to be aware of several factors like water temperature (the hot water that feels good on your body in the shower is likely too hot for your anus) and water pressure. Make sure you know all about how to use your shower kit safely BEFORE you get started.
- They are not portable so while they can be awesome for getting clean at home, you can’t take your show on the road, as it were.
The Bottom Line
The primary function of an anal douche is to clean the anus, often in preparation for sex play and, with that in mind, every anal douche we mentioned here today will get the job done. To select the right one for you, think about what you value beyond cleanliness. Is it convenience? Comfort? Price? Pleasure? There are no wrong answers here! Once you are clear on what you want from your anal douche beyond cleaning power, you’ll be well on your way to selecting the best anal douche for you!
If you want to learn more about anal cleanliness and have more questions like “do enemas hurt?”, “what is an enema and how do I use one safely?”, or “colonic vs enema”, read our linked blogs!